I went mountain biking for the first time in months. Months and months. And you know what? It was fun. I really need to do more of it, but heck, after work I'm usually too tired. Tonight was different because I only went to work for an hour and then John and I drove to Alpharetta to the Dover's Saddlery and got him outfitted in breeches, half chaps, and gloves. I found a nice pair of Ariat paddock boots for half retail on ebay last week, so now he's ready to go trail riding.
I got a new helmet after breaking the buckle on my Tipperary helmet last weekend and alas, the design is such that I can't replace the buckle without tearing the helmet apart. I wasn't too torn up about it as the helmet is at least four years old and really, they should be replaced periodically because they break down internally and offer less protection. Also, the padding had shifted such that after an hour or so it was biting into my head. Not pleasant.
I also traded in the Mountain Horse dress boots I got on March 28th. I noticed the last time I wore them that the leather finish was peeling off where the stirrups rubbed the toe box. These boots are not as expensive as semi-customs, but they aren't cheap and really, they shouldn't be doing that. Also, to my dismay, they just weren't breaking in around the ankle. Comfortable enough for riding, but walking was a real torture. I contacted Mountain Horse USA and they said to take them back to Dover's and get a replacement. I opted for a refund because I was afraid that the second pair, even if they didn't have their finish wear off, would never get comfortable in the ankles. So, a new pair of Ariats are now sitting on the dining room table. I tried them on with breeches at the store and was very impressed with the give in the ankles. We'll see, but I have great hopes. I love my Ariat paddock boots.
This shopping trip to Dover's in the middle of the week was great because it was really nice to not be at work. Oh, I got Asia a new girth, too, as she's lost all the baby weight she had after India was weaned and the 52" was too large; I had to buckle it on the top billet holes on both sides. Jenny kindly loaned me three girths that she no longer uses on Wendy and all three are 46", and they fit, but just barely, buckling on the first hole all the way around. This makes me just as nervous as buckling on the top holes, not that the girth is going to come loose in either position, but that options are so limited. I found a Wintec girth size 50" on sale and got it. Oh, new gloves for John and for me. He because he doesn't have any and me because I left mine where the Shirah dogs could get them, proving that I am an idiot.
And John bought me a new bridle of Asia. Yay, John! So we're obviously doing our part to help the US economy.
So, we got home around 4 pm and I had a nice snooze in the truck somewhere around Forsyth. This meant a two hour window to feed horses, load bikes, fix Camelbak, pick appropriate Terry skort and jersey to wear, coordinate the bike socks...that's a lot of time and it was great. I also cleaned the horses' watering trough, which was almost a week overdue.
On to Thomson and I rode with Hillarie and had a great time. There were trees down and John took his chainsaw and hauled it around in his BOB trailer. It's quite heavy and look at him powering up hills with it in tow! Go, John!! Dean took this video and posted it to his Flickr site. Thanks, Dean. You can get a feel for how woodsy the Thomson trails are. I love them, rattlesnakes and all.
Mountain biking is fun. I love my Klein.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment