Saturday, September 24, 2011

India and I work some cows






My first ride on POTU since March when I decided that until I had her checked out by a vet and a saddle that fits, I might as well not ride her. So, I haven't. But she went to the vet/chiropractor last week who told me that he thought she'd be able to work as a trail horse, if not a jumper, and Elaine loaned me her Daisy Wade saddle, so I decided today that I was going to ride POTU. Then I found out that there were weanlings in the arena and that was just perfect because India loves to work cows and it gave us a job to keep her mind off silly things such as bucking and running away with me. She did buck once and she was full of scoot, but we survived and so did the cows. India loves working cows. She goes right for them, snaking her head down to nip at them, telling them to move.

It was grand.

I have to get a Western saddle for her, although if I can find an English one that fits, we'll get that. But she looks so darn cute in a Western saddle! She's definitely a cow pony, unlike her momma. I do have a Western bridle, but it's in my trailer tack room. We look cobbled together, but we rode! We survived! We were rusty, but those turns on the haunches came back. Wheee!

1 comment:

Captain Bailey said...

Oh, yes, you can tell by her expression she's enjoying herself! I would love to have the opportunity to do something like this with my paint mare--when she was a baby we used to drag a blanket around in the arena for her to chase. With some horses this job really seems to make a lot of things "click" with them. I hope you get the chance to do it again!