Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It lives!


Here's John on my Trek 930 Singletrack, which was my first mountain bike. I bought it used and rode the heck out of it for three years and then John bought me my Klein for Valentine's Day. The Trek has spent most of the time since on the trainer, although it has been ridden by a few others getting into the sport. Mostly, poor thing, it's been neglected. I have friends* who will ride 800 miles on a trainer and I admire them, but I am not that dedicated. Poor thing didn't get ridden at all this winter, just sat on the back deck looking forlorn while its tires deflated.

Not now for she is reborn! I took this picture tonight after she was resurrected. I like it. Not only is there a cute guy on a bike, but it's an action shot. Look at that blurry background!

There was already a slick** on the back, which I bought for her when I first put her on the trainer, but the front was still a knobby. I bought a slick for the front last week. I also bought a bike lock and John bought a bike trailer from Nashbar, so I'm set. Oh, I found an old pair of Time pedals in one of our boxes of miscellaneous bike parts, so the Trek is good to go. Rather than take a car to the post office on Saturday, I'll take the Trek. Too bad the good grocery store (Krogers) is so far away. Not that it's really all that far, being less than 10 miles, but my ice cream would melt before I got it home. However, the Giant Food Store in Byron is close by and for staples it's ok. However, I tend to buy more than staples every trip. Well, no commitments now to biking for groceries, but certainly to the post office and we'll see from there.

I never could bring myself to get rid of the Trek even when it was apparent that I wasn't using it on the trainer and no one was borrowing it to get started in the sport. I love that bike. She introduced me to the thrill of mountain biking and selling her would have been like discarding an old friend.

*friends like Go Fast Pops and Pop's Tart. Read about their adventures on trainers here and here However, spring has finally come to Ohio and I think only last week it was finally warm enough for them to ride outside
Damn Blogger! It was supposed to insert the links for Pops' and Tart's blogs and the html is all there, but did it do it when the magic was applied? No. :::grumble:::
Ok, here're the links. First, Pop's Tart: http://pops-tart.blogspot.com/ and now Pops: http://www.gofastpops.blogspot.com/

**slick is short for slick tire. Mountain bikes come with knobby tires. When you put a non-knobby tire on a mountain bike, you call it a slick.

No comments: