I opened the door to the hay shed and there was a black snake right inside the door. A snake!!! And I did not scream, not even a girly scream. I just jumped straight back about five feet (the standing broad jump is my snake-induced specialty) and watched as the snake turned and slithered under one of the pallets holding the square bales.
Indiana Jones and I both hate snakes. I'm terrified of them. Had it been a rat or a big, hairy spider I would have been fine. Startled maybe by the unexpected sighting, but no standing broad jumps backwards. But snakes? Aaaaaiiiieeee! Yikes. So, after telling myself repeatedly that the snake was more scared of me than I of him, I sang my Go Away Snake Song and walked into the hay shed and got the fly spray that I wanted off the shelf against the side wall. I had to walk in three steps and put my back to the snake area. I am so brave!
When I finished with the fly spray, I sang my Go Away Snake Song yet again and put the fly spray right inside the door and shut it. Goodnight, Snake.
The mares have a big round bale of hay sitting in the pasture to tide them over. They don't need the hay from the hay shed. Yay! Snakes...even the good ones make me shudder. Bring on the furry spiders!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Does this make you Illini Jones?
This makes me laugh fondly about a certain day at Dauset. Even though I'm not scared of snakes particularly, I did have to vacate the theatre when watching the first Indiana Jones movie. It was the spiders, though. And I was ten. :)
Post a Comment