Kim and her Specialized and me with the Prettiest Bike on the Planet (tm) at Fort Yargo's trailsThis morning I met with two other members of Team BigFoot and drove to Fort Yargo State Park to ride the mountain bike trails. All these years riding and I'd never made it two hours away to these trails. Last November we'd planned a trip and of course that weekend I got sick with the flu and missed the fun.
We met up with a large group of riders there, including my dear friends, Jesse and Kelly. Both used to live in lovely Warner Robins, but now live in Atlanta. Jesse kindly showed me and Leslie around Big Creek's trail system last summer and Kelly used to keep her Arabian gelding, Lissan, in my front yard. Asia had a huge crush on Lissan and to tell the truth, I did too.
After about a mile of a fast and furious pace, the group stopped at a road crossing and when I stopped, I opined that the pace was too fast for Team BigFoot, so we dropped off the back and let the fast kids go on and then it was a true Team BigFoot ride, which means that we ride for a bit and then stop and chat while we catch our breath.
However, Jesse was waiting for me at the start of the Monster Mile, which is a very technical section of trail with lots of whoops, about six miles into the twelve mile loop. Beth and Kim opted to skip the Monster Mile's climbs, tight turns and a really scary whoop almost at the end. I rode all but that really scary whoop, which was the last one in a series of three in a row. The drop into it wasn't bad, but the climb out was close to vertical and I was scared that I wouldn't have enough momentum to crest the lip and although Jesse, and another rider, Scott, offered to catch me if I got to the crest, and I did appreciate their kind offer, I decided that today was just not the day for tempting fate. The unfortunate thing about having reached my advanced age is that I know just how long an injury can linger to bother you and I don't like feeling old and decrepit and injured, so I walked that whoop. Maybe next time. ;0)
After the Monster Mile, I hooked back up with Beth and Kim to finish the trail at the Team BigFoot pace, which means less than the Fast Boys.
All in all, I give Yargo a 7 out of 10. It's got some really nice flow, but too often the nice, swoopy downhill ends with a sharp turn into a steep, albeit short, climb. Also, it's just too far away to warrant the drive at $3.65 a gallon. I'll stick to Dauset and Arrowhead. Still, I love getting out on my Klein in the woods.
We met up with a large group of riders there, including my dear friends, Jesse and Kelly. Both used to live in lovely Warner Robins, but now live in Atlanta. Jesse kindly showed me and Leslie around Big Creek's trail system last summer and Kelly used to keep her Arabian gelding, Lissan, in my front yard. Asia had a huge crush on Lissan and to tell the truth, I did too.
After about a mile of a fast and furious pace, the group stopped at a road crossing and when I stopped, I opined that the pace was too fast for Team BigFoot, so we dropped off the back and let the fast kids go on and then it was a true Team BigFoot ride, which means that we ride for a bit and then stop and chat while we catch our breath.
However, Jesse was waiting for me at the start of the Monster Mile, which is a very technical section of trail with lots of whoops, about six miles into the twelve mile loop. Beth and Kim opted to skip the Monster Mile's climbs, tight turns and a really scary whoop almost at the end. I rode all but that really scary whoop, which was the last one in a series of three in a row. The drop into it wasn't bad, but the climb out was close to vertical and I was scared that I wouldn't have enough momentum to crest the lip and although Jesse, and another rider, Scott, offered to catch me if I got to the crest, and I did appreciate their kind offer, I decided that today was just not the day for tempting fate. The unfortunate thing about having reached my advanced age is that I know just how long an injury can linger to bother you and I don't like feeling old and decrepit and injured, so I walked that whoop. Maybe next time. ;0)
After the Monster Mile, I hooked back up with Beth and Kim to finish the trail at the Team BigFoot pace, which means less than the Fast Boys.
All in all, I give Yargo a 7 out of 10. It's got some really nice flow, but too often the nice, swoopy downhill ends with a sharp turn into a steep, albeit short, climb. Also, it's just too far away to warrant the drive at $3.65 a gallon. I'll stick to Dauset and Arrowhead. Still, I love getting out on my Klein in the woods.



No comments:
Post a Comment