
I'm going to change out the pedals and maybe the seat, but otherwise, nothing else really needs to be done, although I might move the brakes a bit on the handle bar so my reach is better.
My first road bike was a loaner from Leslie and it was also a Peugeot with shifters on the down tube. Approximately the same era as this one above, I rode that bike for two years and learned a lot. I gave it back to Leslie when I bought a Habanero from Chris Wells. That bike was titanium and a lovely bike. It was very twitchy and much faster and about 15 pounds lighter with full Campagnolo gruppo. I rode it for a long time but then got into mountain biking and sold the Haby two years ago when I realized that I was never riding it anymore. It seemed a shame to have it sit around collecting dust and Chris found a good home for it.
There have been a few times since that I wished I had a road bike, but I put slicks on my Trek 930 Singletrack and it's worked in a pinch. I rode it on a 15 mile ride last September and when I commute to work, it's the bike I take. I love that Trek as it got me into mountain biking.
But today I saw this Peugeot and it called out to me. The next thing I knew I was buying it. It was pouring rain this afternoon so I didn't ride it other than 10 feet across the shop floor, but the cockpit felt right and so did the standover, so I'll try it out more very soon, take it for a spin, and hope that it still feels wonderful.
Last year I tried a Trek Madone and fell in love, but with this bike? So very far from that Madone in weight and components. It's a given that if I show up at any organized ride with this bike, it will be the only one there.



No comments:
Post a Comment