Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Columbus Day: I spent it discovering fun

My new-old Tahoe before the rains set in and turned the driveway to a lake.
Grits and Raven along the Pinehurst/Byromville Road
Grits took this of me and Asia
Grits on Raven at the pond, with a storm coming in.

Pictures from yesterday's trip to Dooly County where I did get in a great, two hour ride before the rains began. Jim was understandably tired from three days straight hunting with Midland, but Grits was up for adventure and she and I went out for just over two hours and had a lovely time. Asia benefited from Sunday's ride at Horse Camp and was well behaved. I'm sure that all the cantering and trotting we did helped calm her down, too. She gets along very well with Raven, the mare Grits rode, and when we hand galloped down a dirt road, they both were well behaved, no bucking, no racing, just a lovely gallop. We indulged in three or four lovely gallops and quite a few trots during our time out. We went towards the lake (not the pond that you see in the picture attached) and as we were turning the corner along the doubletrack path, we heard a rattlesnake rattling away, just as Raven spun on her haunches and wheeled away from the snake. Asia was a horse length back and I still got a good look at the snake through the tall grass. It was huge and long. Saturday in our back yard Astro found another rattlesnake, and this time he didn't kill it, but John did with his 9mm pistol. No dogs bitten, yay! I didn't look at it, having no desire to ever see a snake, but John measured it and it was over 4 feet long. That's two rattlesnakes in three days. Ugh. Apparently it's the time of year for snakes to move around a bit. I hope the snake migration season doesn't last very long.

The Tahoe is definitely a fantastic purchase because Jim's driveway was a mud pit after the hour and a half long rains, and with the Silverado, I would have either been stuck in Dooly overnight (not such a bad option, really ;0) or if it had gotten me out of there, it would have spun its tires so much that there would have been mud all over the front of the trailer. The ground was so saturated that it squished when I walked. After I loaded Asia and Lissan (L came along with me as I took him and Asia to the vet's before going to Jim's; fresh Coggins all round! Rabies shots galore! And Lissan also got all his immunizations), I selected the Auto option on the Tahoe and off it went, smoothly, no wheels spinning, no mud thrown. It was fantastic. The Auto option lets the car select whether it should be in 2WD or 4WD, and it also has buttons that select 2WD, 4WDhigh, or 4WDlow. Once I navigated three more large puddles, I got to the paved road and I put the Tahoe into 2WD and home we came. What a wonderful thing is a 4WD tow vehicle. I am in love with my new car and yes, it's the first car I've purchased since 1989. Did you know that cup holders now come standard and that the radio will tell you what song is playing? This, my friends, is technology!!

May your days be snake free and full of awesome technology.

p.s. It was four years ago that I took Asia to the vet's suspecting pregnancy and found out that our suspicions were true. I was horribly disappointed then, not realizing what a fabulous adventure awaited. Yay, POTU! for she has brought me such joy and led me on a great discovery.

No comments: