Saturday, January 26, 2008


So, Saturday's forecast is 50% chance of ice pellets, highs in the upper 40's, and overcast. Sunday is partly cloudy and a high of 62. We picked today to ride the horses at Henderson Village. Other than my toes freezing (I forgot to put in the boot liners that warm your feet), I had a great time. Asia loaded by herself, albeit with some angst, into the trailer going and returning. Going down she wore her heavyweight turnout blanket because I put it on her last night, so she already had it on. The forecast was just sketchy enough to warrant turnouts and I got the added bonus of a mostly clean horse when I took it off. After the ride, which included some lovely gallops, she got to wear her cooler with its recent addition of "Asia" in Barbie pink. Momma asked what I wanted for Xmas and I told her that I wanted the monogram on the cooler and I must stay that it looks fantastic. She wore it for the trailer ride home, too, but now she's back in her pasture with no blanket on. I took Babe's off, too. The forecast for tonight is clear and cold, but as long as it's not wet, they should be just fine. They'll also be filthy tomorrow, but I'll be traveling to Columbus for the christening of my goddaughter's daughter, so I won't be home to see the mud monsters eating hay.

I never liked playing with dolls as a girl, but I do love dressing up my horses. Asia has a light turnout and a heavyweight one; a cooler; a scrim sheet; a 3/4s exercise cooler; and lots of saddle pads. Babe has a nice stable blanket that Kelly gave me when she got rid of her horse that is perfect for trailering when it's cold and a medium weight turnout. Babe is a bit heftier than Asia, so she doesn't need a heavy turnout; she's got enough padding. I also have a cooler I got for Magic twenty years ago that I can use on Babe should she need one, and I have a rain sheet that I got for Magic that I haven't used in a few years, but fits Asia. I love to dress up a horse.

No comments: