Sunday, May 5, 2013

I am alive



Still alive. We've been busy. See? Look at India acting all grown up in a DRESSAGE SHOW last March. We entered on a whim, had three days to practice our two tests (walk/trot) and went into a dressage arena for the first time at the show. India was a champ.

True, our scores were middlin' average, but the point was to find out how well India would do in an unfamiliar location with strange horses. In that, India rocked. She offloaded and was so unperturbed about everything. It's just awesome to have a horse that I can leave tied to a trailer at a show and not worry about.

Since last December we've been taking pretty steady lessons with Kathleen Lindley Beckham (www.kathleenlindley.com) and progressing quite nicely. Still working on softness and balance in order to keep her as sound as possible after the fall off the retaining wall she had as a yearling. She will forever be stiff in the pelvis and benefits from regular chiropractic from Dr. Jennifer Miller.

We also have gone to the Biltmore Estate again, but this year we didn't enter the ride and tie race like last. My racing partner isn't available this year; too busy training for a solo marathon effort.

India was very well behaved at the Biltmore. Notice something different?

India's mane is short now! I got tired of fancy braid jobs and the way it looked. I feared that if I pulled it, she'd have a Mohawk like she did as a 3 year old, but I got lucky because it doesn't, although it does fall on both sides of her neck.


This is actually not how it looks now as I worked on it some more, but it gives you a good idea. I so love having her mane short. My inner hunter rider's soul is soothed.

I've started a new job.

I've got a second dog.

I've not ridden my mountain bike in way too long.

And that's it in a nutshell.

No comments: