Sunday, January 17, 2010

Last weekend and this

The picture above and below were taken last weekend when it was so very cold and I kept the blankets on Asia, Ralph and Babe for four days straight. Well, they did come off for readjustment and to make sure there were no rubs, but right back on they went. It was so cold and the wind cut right through you. Ralph is a furry, furry yak pony and probably would have been ok, but he's getting on up there in age and I don't want him having to work hard and expend a lot of energy to stay warm. Same with Babe. Asia is pretty young, but like her mother, she's a swamp flower and gets cold easily. The temps have returned pretty much to normal now, but yesterday was quite rainy all day long and the highs were only in the 50's. Ralph and Babe were fine, but Asia was shivering, so I put her light, turnout blanket on her late afternoon and then took it off this morning.

I looked out last weekend and all three horses were laying down, dozing in the sun. I snuck down the driveway to get pictures, but Yak Pony jumped up when I got too close. I am such a predator! Babe is the neckless and headless horse that's behind Asia.


This is Quantrell and his momma, Gwen. He's 28 years old and he looks fantastic. I visited them today and trimmed his hooves. He's such a gentleman, standing quietly while I did them. Quantrell is quite well bred and spent time on the racetrack as a youngster, but he did not perform well, so he was retired from racing at an early age. He's spent his life being a pasture ornament and is a wonderful horse for Gwen. Gwen has another gelding, Drifter, and he and Q are best buddies.

No comments: